Introduction of the Eden
Hi! I’m Eden
Cook. I am married. My husband and I have two children (Ce’Nedra-
12 and Wesley- 9 5/6th), three cats (Jasper and Ginger- twin fire
tips and Ari-a tuxedo kitty), and one dog (Lexi- German Shepherd/Lab). We’ve lived in Moore for over nine
years. Before that, we lived in
Stillwater. My husband is a Stillwater graduate.
I graduated from Marlow High School. My
husband is an OSU alumnus. We met when
he was in the OSU marching band and I was in The Pride of Oklahoma. We’re not really a house divided. I’m not that into sports, but I’m a huge
Gundy fan. I don’t really care who wins,
as long as it isn’t Texas.
![]() |
| Jasper acting spoiled. |
I am a Language Arts Education major. I hope to teach high school when I graduate. I’ve worked with high school aged kids for about fifteen years as an advisor for an organization called DeMolay. DeMolay is a leadership organization for young men between the ages of 12 and 21. We have a sister organization called International Rainbow for Girls that my daughter joined last year.
![]() |
| Ginger thinks she's going on a trip. |
![]() |
| Ari's toe beans! |
In addition to
working with DeMolay, I am also a Girl Scout leader for a multi-level troop. We have girls from first grade through
eleventh grade. I started with the
Daisies when my daughter was in Kindergarten and moved up with her group as
they got older. I now work with the Cadette,
Senior, and Ambassadors groups (6th-12 grade). They are a lot more fun now than they were
when they were Daisies and Brownies! Yes,
cookie season starts soon, and YES! my daughter would love to sell you some
cookies!
I’m a huge literature nerd.
I consider literature any creative endeavor that tells a story: books,
movies, television series, cool blogs, podcasts, cartoons, etc. I. LOVE. STORIES! My current reading for
pleasure is the Magnus Chase series
by Rick Riordan. I am currently watching
Medical Police on Netflix. My current podcast binges are My Favorite Murder and Wine and Crime. I am excited to share my stories with you and
to read the stories that you all post.
![]() |
| Lexi waiting for Robert to get home. |
(Images information: Photographs of the Cook pets, 2019.)




Hi Eden! We have a couple of things (and classes!) in common. I'm excited to see another ELA major in this class.I feel like I'll get to know you even better through reading your stories.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I was a girl scout! Not for very long, only about 4 years, but I totally loved it. I will take you up on the offer to buy cookies, so just let me know when that time comes around again. Caramel delights!! Are the BEST!!
Grayce!! I've got cookies! Let me know when you want me to bring them to class.
DeleteHi Eden!
ReplyDeleteIt's so nice to meet you! I loved reading about your family, goals, and interests. I also have 3 cat children; kitties are good for the soul. I admire the work that you have put into your community and the children within it. I've never been a girl scout, but I did help my friend who was a girl scout sell cookies in my neighborhood once. I'm definitely excited to read your blog posts and stories!
Thanks, Kyah! Kitties are great for the soul.
DeleteHey Eden!
ReplyDeleteNice to meet you! I loved reading your post about your life and your family (which obviously includes your adorable kitties!). Also, WOW! It is clear that you have a lot of passion for teaching young people between Girl Scouts and the DeMolay group, and that is amazing. I had a bit of experience teaching high schoolers as an assistant, and, not gonna lie, there were definitely a few moments where I was a little scared/frustrated up there when the students just ran away with the class. At the same time, it was really rewarding to see them slowly become more confident as the year progressed, so I can see why teachers love their job. I wish you the best of luck with your teaching career!
-Daniel
Thanks, Daniel. I'm relying on my age and the perfection of my "mom eyes" to keep control of the classroom.
DeleteHi Eden!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to have another class with you and I love that I have other ELA majors in this class with me as well! I think its so awesome that you like to binge true crime, me too! My mom and I used to spend every Sunday together watching crime shows before it was "cool."
Hi Eden,
ReplyDeleteWow, it seems like you really have you're hands full! I have two cats (Felix and Felicity) that take up a lot of my time, so I can't imagine a whole family! My family is also a bit of a mixture of OU and OSU fans, but we don't get too heated about it, we just don't want Texas winning haha.
Thanks, Jacob. It totally sounds like my son named your cats. He named Jasper after the scaredy cat cousin of Tom from a Tom and Jerry episode.
DeleteHello again, Eden!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to have another class in common with you! Along with our similarities with ELA, I too love true crime everything. For the past year or so, I have been listening to Crime Junkies (a podcast) religiously. If you haven't, I would recommend you check it out! Other than that, we share a love for cats. Your cats are absolutely darling! I do not know how you manage to keep up with a family, pets, and school all together. You amaze me! I look forward to another semester with you!
Katelyn,
DeleteCrime Junkies is on my list, but I haven't started listening to it. My best friend got me a MFM Cult membership for Christmas, so I've been listening to extra episodes and following Wine and Crime. I also really like Jensen and Holes Murder Squad. Billy Jensen is one of the writers who helped finish Michelle MacNamara's book about the Golden State Killer after she passed away, and Holes is one of the lead cold case investigators of the GSK case. It's so good and I've learned a lot of interviewing techniques listening to them talk to the victim families and law enforcement agents working with cold case investigations.
Hi, Eden!
ReplyDeleteMy hometown is Lawton, so I 100% am familiar with Marlow! Actually, I was just there this weekend to watch my nephew in a wrestling tournament. I think that it’s really neat that you lead a girl scout troop! I never got the opportunity to be involved in something like that growing up, but I absolutely think that it provides SO many life lessons and essential knowledge to kids!
Thanks, Kennedee. My grandmother lived in Lawton and worked as a cafeteria manager for Flower Mound Elementary in the 90s.
DeleteOh, I love the idea of the meeting of two marching bands, Eden! How cool! (My husband is a proud Aggie, and we have a bunch of DVDs of the Aggie marching band, back before you could find so many of their videos at YouTube.) And how cool about DeMolay: that is new to me! I had heard about Rainbow Girls (the Masonic one anyway), but DeMolay is new. That goes in my "learn something new every day" file for today!
ReplyDeleteAnd I'll get Girl Scout Cookies in the announcements; I'll try to pick a strategic day for that! If I lived in Norman, I would be a cookie-buyer (those caramel ones, oh, they are so good!).
And I am jealous that you have lovely pets enough to spread throughout the whole blog post. Wonderful! Maybe the furry ones will make an appearance in some of your stories for this semester.
About Rick Riordan: one of my favorite things that he does is to help young writers get started with his "Presents" series. My favorite book that I read over winter break was one of those: TRISTAN STRONG PUNCHES A HOLE IN THE SKY ... it even has Brer Rabbit... and I am a Brer Rabbit fanatic. I really admire how he's using his success to boost the works of new writers!
I just bought Tristan Strong! I'm almost done with "The Shining" and Tristan is going to be next. I read "Race to the Sun" by Rebecca Roanhorse as soon as it came out, in January. I then got to meet Rebecca at a bookstore on the northside of OKC a few weeks ago! Dr. Kim Wieser assigned one of her books for class last semester, and I became obsessed with her writing.
DeleteHi Eden,
ReplyDeleteIt is great to see that you and your husband graduates from rival schools, but you can always unite against Texas! I appreciate your passion to want to teach high school. The youth will always need dedicated individuals to not only educate, but also mentor them as they grow into adults. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors, especially in your teaching career!
Thanks, Dylan!
ReplyDeleteHi Eden,
ReplyDeleteI think all your pets are so cute and I really like your dog! I am a dog person and have always wanted one. I really appreciate your passion for education. I really like books too! I usually read more history related things but a good story can still blow me away. I think you should check out a channel on YouTube called Like Stories of Old. A great channel that analyzes literature and movies.
Howdy Eden,
ReplyDeleteI thoroughly enjoy all of Rick Riordan’s stuff, he does a great job at making things accessible and keeping them interesting, without sacrificing plot – which isn’t easy. I’m always glad to hear about people reading those books. Also, my sister loves My Favorite Murder, we actually went to an episode recording at The Texas Theatre in Dallas, I’d never heard it before, but it was an awesome time. Hope all is well, best of luck to you.
Hi Eden!
ReplyDeleteI am in love with your cats they are the cutest! I am a huge crime podcast fan and I am currently listening to Serial which discusses different real criminal cases in the American Justice System and it really brings to light major issues within the system. It is also interesting to hear real life cases and their effect.
Hey, Eden
ReplyDeleteI have really been wanting to get a cat and your cats really made me want to get one even more, they're really cute! That is so impressive how you are being able to balance being a mother while being a student; I feel as though just by the way you introduced yourself, as well as how you take note of your goals, that you will be successful, and I look forward to seeing that!
Hey Eden! I'm jealous that you have so many pets! I myself have two cats that I love but have been wanting a dog forever! It's awesome that you are getting yourself and your family involved in the community through the girl scouts. I used to read Rick Riordan and will have to check out the Magnus Chase series. I also love to listen to podcasts all the time. Good luck this semester!
ReplyDeleteHi Eden, nice to meet you! I want to commend you for working for an organization that helps provide teenagers with leadership development. I think that is essential for the success of our society! I also volunteer with a group in Norman that provides leadership lessons for 5th graders, its a very rewarding activity! Also, I'm always looking for new TV shows to follow, so thank you for all those recommendations. I have actually never seen any of those shows (I tend to watch the super basic ones lol), but will be looking into them!
ReplyDeleteHey Eden!
ReplyDeleteI think it's funny how you mentioned that your house isn't divided between you and your husband, all the hate is directed towards Texas and you're right! My sister is currently at UT and our house is VERY much divided but in a playful way ... sometimes. Anyways, my roommate is also an education major and I always see how much work she has to do, it's insane! I hope you are doing well with all the work as well.
Hi Eden,
ReplyDeleteThat's amazing that you are an Language Arts Education major. I could never! It's my least favorite subject not in that I don't like literature or reading, but I am not a good essay writer at all! I love stories like you though! However, I was able to get through my classes through great teachers like you! Where in Moore do you live? I grew up in Moore even though I am technically from SW OKC!
Can't to read some of the amazing stories you will write.
Hi Eden! Your intro is super interesting! I love that you're a Language Arts Education major and your dedication to your community/students is evident! I can already tell that you're going to be an amazing high school teacher. I'm a huge literature nerd too! I'm constantly consuming different books, shows, and movies whenever I can. I hope to read some stories from you!
ReplyDeleteHello Eden! I drew some parallels when you mentioned OSU as my aunt went there and she convinced me to love everything OSU…including the sports. Coming to OU was a bit of joke thrown around some family events but here I am! I hear so much about girl scout cookies, yet I must admit I have never tried them!! I’m interested in reading some of your stories and I wonder how much of the crime theme may show up. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteHi Eden!
ReplyDeleteI remember you from my blog! You were hoping that I would share some Ethiopian recipes with you! Don't worry, I am working on getting a recipe from my mom to post on my blog! I'll link you to it when I finish.
If theres one thing I got out of reading your story, it's that you are passionate about kids. I'll be applying to medical school soon, and whatever I do, I know that it has to be in pediatrics. Right know, I am dreaming of working in Pediatric Oncology, but we'll see!
Hi Eden!
ReplyDeleteI see you are an animal lover such as myself! I have two doggies that love to go on walks and stick their head out of the car window! I am actually from around the Stillwater area (Perkins) and my family is still upset I went to OU instead of OSU.... Since you describe yourself as a huge literature nerd I look forward to reading the stories you create!!
Hi Eden!
ReplyDeleteI don't know how you do it. Having to balance out housework, family work as well as schooling is something that anyone would admire! Personally, I'm a dog person myself, but sometimes I do wonder what it would be like to have a cat as a pet .. let alone three of them! I know it's almost the end of the semester, but I would like to welcome you to the class and I look forward to reading more stories from you!
Hi Eden,
ReplyDeleteThose different pictures of all your pets are really cool. Glad that your house is not really divided over the bedlam rivalry. Different parts of my family are separated between the two main Oklahoma schools, so I can relate. Even as a die hard OU fan I have to admit that I find Coach Gundy pretty funny too!
Hi Eden!
ReplyDeleteIt's great to meet you. So many cute fur babies! What a happy family. :) It's awesome that you are married and found your partner for life. I think it's great that you're majoring in Language Arts Education. I bet teaching high school will be interesting! I wish you the best of luck!